PPEH invites faculty to apply for grants from the Artist-in-Residency Funding in support of collaborative projects between coursework, research, and public arts programming that speaks to the Program’s four core commitments:
1) broadly interdisciplinary, collaborative inquiry across the arts and sciences;
2) arts-driven inquiry into place, particularly our campus and the City of Philadelphia as well as urban ecology in other global contexts;
3) public engagement, particularly in and with environmental justice communities and concerns; and
4) the creation and growth of “living archives” via practices of “urgent collection.”
Proposals will be reviewed along the following lines:
• Rationale for artist’s engagement with the faculty member and material of the course or project and targeted students
• Alignment of the proposed resident’s work with PPEH’s four core commitments
• Clarity of proposed schedule
• Residency documentation plan, to include at least one short reflective essay by the instructor, with visuals, for the PPEH blog
• Potential public impact
Applications should consist of a 500-word statement describing how faculty and artist will engage with course research and teaching, alignment with PPEH core commitments alongside a proposed budget and timeline of class visits, workshops, performances and/or other events associated with the artist’s visit to Penn. Please also include a brief faculty and artists bios and links to documentation of previous work. Awards are granted up to $5,000.
Here are some examples of these collaborations:
Solar Imaginaries with Kristin Neville Taylor and Ricky Yanas
Right to Play with Underwater New York
A Reading by Julian Brolaski and Cynthia Arrieu-King, a Kelly Writers House event
SAS standing faculty, Professors of Practice, Senior Lecturers, Senior Lecturers in Foreign Language, Senior Lecturers in Critical Writing, and emeriti faculty. Priority will be given to faculty with no existing discretionary research accounts.
Application deadline: April 1
Awarded: June 1
Please email us at email@example.com with any questions!